School Site Council
Are you looking to get involved and help improve student achievement or just want to know more about it at our school?
Then come and attend the School Site Council (SSC) meetings each month!
Tuesday, September 27th, 2016
Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Monday, November 28, 2016
Tuesday, December 14th, 2016
Monday, January 30th, 2017
Monday, February 27, 2017
Monday, March 27, 2017
Monday, April 24, 2017
Monday, May 22, 2017
All meetings are at 3:00 PM in the MES Library.
Here is the material referenced in the 9/18 PTA Meeting about Common Core:
http://sbac.portal.airast.org/practice-test/ (Check compatibility, then click on the green square at the bottom that reads “student interface practice test” to try out a pilot common core assessment test)
Have you seen the invitations to attend School Site Council (SSC) meetings in the past, but weren’t sure what the SSC was all about? Or, are you a new or veteran parent looking to get involved in a really important group at our school? Look no further! The SSC is composed of Montclair Elementary School (MES) Principal Elizabeth Austin, parents, school staff, and faculty. The Montclair Elementary School Site Council meets monthly to discuss issues and concerns affecting our school and is open to the entire MES community. The agenda is posted a few days in advance of each meeting in front of the school office.
The main responsibility of the SSC is to oversee the development of the SPSA (School Plan for Student Achievement required by OUSD), monitor its achievements, and make recommendations for necessary changes. The stated purpose of the SPSA is to “improve the academic performance of all pupils to the level of the performance goals, as established by the Academic Performance Index.” Some additional contributions from the SSC in recent years are the Otter Tales student newspaper, the State of the School Address Parent Coffee, special presentations in partnership with the PTA and more.
Why Is the School Site Council Important?
• Provides school staff members, parents, community members, and students a voice in maintaining and improving achievement
• Legally required group by California law
What Does the School Site Council Do?
• Oversees the annual budget of categorical funding for our school site
• Compiles the School Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA ) with Principal Austin
• Reviews student academic data
• Consults with other parent groups about the SPSA
• Recommends school safety plan
• Initiates and supports special projects at the school such as the Otter Tales Student Newspaper
How Do I Become a Member?
• Attend SSC meetings regularly, as a member of the school community to decide if you would like to become involved
• Talk with Elizabeth Austin about your interest in serving on the SSC, and/or contact the SSC Chair, Renee White @
• Participate in the annual elections in the spring; members are elected by the group they represent
• No experience is needed; the District provides information to new members to learn about the role